Sunday, December 9, 2012

My 2012 Christmas Poem


God Gave in Order to Save
©2012 C. Brent Cloyd
 
It is Christmas time, for what do I wish;
For what hope or dream does my soul anguish?
Is something from my list under the tree;
Something chosen especially for me?
 
I wonder what good things we’ll have to eat.
Apple cake with walnuts would be a treat.
Some peanut brittle or chocolate fudge,
In pecan pie with whip cream I’ll indulge.
 
I’ll hope to have my family gathered around
Opening gifts making a paper mound.
We’ll take a drive, enjoy tinsel and lights,
Make memories as we gaze on the sights.
 
Yet midst the holiday laughter and cheer
There are lonely masses living in fear.
Poor, worried, abused, tired, haggard, and spent
In search of cash to buy food and pay rent.

 
Where is hope for these lives torn and shattered;
Who live each day, depressed, weak, and scattered?
Perhaps abused by those proud and greedy,
Who use their labor yet leave them needy.
 
God promises good things to these oppressed,
His merciful love will not be suppressed.
The wealth of the rich will be adjusted,
God’s balancing justice can be trusted.
 
Others are trapped in our sin sick culture
Where dark sadness hovers like a vulture.
Guilty of trespassing, hence they must pay.
With so large a debt they wilt in dismay.
 
Is there hope for these who have misbehaved?
Is there any way their souls can be saved?
Is help on the way? Then let’s hear the story!
Tell me please, is there a word from glory?
 
Yes, to these lost, broken, sinful forgotten,
God sent his son, His only begotten.
From the crib to the cross his life he gave,
All our mistakes and failures He forgave.
 
We need not perish in this world of strife,
But with faith in Jesus have eternal life.
God sent His Son, the world not to condemn.
It’s Christmas, may the world be saved through Him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment